Abhinav Jain & A Guest Author Series on The Importance of Names in Speculative Fiction
As I mentioned in my round up on September 17, here, I have not been doing so many guest post gigs recently, but I was delighted to receive an invitation from book blogger and reviewer Abhinav Jain to particpate in a new guest author series on his “Sons of Corax” site.
Mostly because the topic addresses a subject that is a really important part of my Fantasy (as I hope my guest post will attest.) To quote Abhinav:
“The topic is how the names of characters and places and other things within their novels (and other works where appropriate) fit into their setting, their relevance and their power.”
Ooh, yes please! I thought, when the invitation came through.
Here is the current schedule of authors and post titles as it appeared on Abhinav’s blog on September 18:
- 24th September – Myke Cole – The Significance Of Names
- 27th September – Chris F. Holm – The Devil’s In The Details
- 1st October – Kim Curran – Names And Fun
- 8th October – Teresa Frohock – A Game Of Names
- 11th October – Helen Lowe – The Power Of Names
- 15th October – Anne Lyle – Names As Characters
- 18th October – Courtney Schafer – Building Fantasy Worlds One Name At A Time
- 22nd October – Lou Morgan - The Naming Of Things
- 25th October – Jeff Salyards – A Name By Any Other Name
- 29th October – Gwenda Bond – Names, Names And Names
- 1st November – Stina Leicht – What’s In A Name
- 4th November – Sarah Cawkwell – Untitled
- 8th November – David Annandale – Untitled
- 11th November – Elspeth Cooper – Untitled
One of the exciting things about the guest list from my point-of-view is that it comprises new or debut Fantasy authors who, like me, are getting their first series ‘out there’ into the world. So these are new names that I am discovering myself both in terms of their work and as fellow authors.
I shall definitely be taking the opportunity to learn more as each of the featured authors’ posts.
As host, Abhinav also plans to post his reviews of each guest author’s books—as well as his thoughts on each of our perspectives on “names” —within reasonable proximity to the post, so if you’re wanting to “find out more” about any or all of the writers, it may be a good idea to keep checking back for this.
What more can I say but: Enjoy!
(Oh yes, and do note the scheduled day for my post is October 11 )